Friday, May 11, 2007

Who Gives the Mechanic's Car a Tune-up?

One of the wonderful things about doing the kind of work we body therapists do is that we can live fully in our bodies. No being stuck in cubicles all day for us. On the other hand, there are potential downsides, namely: the kind of wear and tear that comes from constantly using our bodies as our instruments and our tools. As bodyworkers, if we don't take good care of ourselves we can quickly run the risk of becoming like mechanics whose cars have broken down.

I've been a practicing body therapist for the better part of a decade, and before that I was a PR and marketing writer, driven by insane deadlines and spending the same 50+ hours a week in an office chair that many of my clients do. These occupational hazards, along with mild scoliosis and the strains of beginning distance running could take a serious physical toll. But being a holistically-minded sort who has never been one to swallow unnecessary pills or unhealthy ideas, I have honed a great plan of action to deal with stress and pain over the years. It involves healthy amounts of movement, a balance between time spent in the studio and time spent with friends and family, a yummy diet based in whole and local foods, a bit of wine, a bit of chocolate, and frequent visits to other holistic professionals.

These are the things that keep me sane and feeling great. I love sharing my recommendations and resources with you, especially of the practitioners I visit who keep my body aligned and pain-free.

No comments: